9/8/15

Colbert Tries To Be Himself

Are you ready for The Late Show with Stephen Colbert premiering tonight?  Mr. Colbert has plenty of talk show experience, but always as a pretend character. What will the real Colbert be like? And is he someone we want to watch every night? It remains to be seen. 

I also read he is bringing over his entire team from The Colbert Report.  I wonder if that is very wise. They wrote for a different man on a different show. Making the transition could be tough.

Television premieres, like life, can be unpredictable. As Mr. Colbert noted in his book "I am America":

Life is chaotic and unpredictable. If a butterfly flaps its wings in one part of the world, it could cause people at the opposite end of the globe to watch a Discovery Channel special on butterflies.

Update: The first night's show had plenty of energy, even if it was a little over-planned.  I'm not sure if Jeb Bush was the best candidate to kick off the show. I thought Colbert moved beyond politics in his new seat, but old habits die hard. And even a joke cadidate like Huckabee would have been more interesting than Mr. Bush. He was crumbling under the lights and came off like someone's father trying to be cool yet not understanding he was part of the joke (yet not on on it). And George Clooney was glowing as always, but he wasn't given much to do (that was the point, but it become too painfully clear). The ending song finally lifted me, almost literally, so all was not lost. But I am less interested in the show now than I thought I would be. I guess I need to give Mr. Colbert some time to warm up or calm down.

No comments: