8/17/14

The Killing Works Better This Way

I am not a binge watcher, though I want to be with the new The Killing series.  Released by Netflix on August 1, I am treating it more as a weekly show and have watched the first three episodes. And all I can say is that this season is probably how the show should have always been structured.  

While the fourth season is building on earlier layers, and earlier sins of Detectives Linden and Holder are a large part of the continuing saga, the murder investigation itself is clean, swift, and fascinating without all the dead ends and ridiculous coincidences that filled the first three seasons.  And the investigation will be resolved after six episodes rather than two seasons.  If The Killing had been like this from the beginning it would probably be in its fifth or sixth season with many more to follow.  

I know this was a Danish series transplanted to America, and the original seeds were strong.  I only wish it had grown in a different direction.  It is finally meeting its potential in its last season.  Will Nexflix see this as well and give it a fifth season, as it may do with Arrested Development?  I hope so.

No comments: