7/7/11

More Sci Fi in July - Haven

I am glad to see Haven is returning to SyFy on July 25th.  While I was not originally its strongest fan (see my earlier review), it grew on me as I got to know more about each character.  Set in a small Maine town (though really filmed in Nova Scotia), a semi-retired FBI agent (Emily Rose) and small town detective (Lucas Bryant) investigate the strange happenings among the local population.  Eric Balfour offers a fair amount of comic relief in his role of a local troublemaker/pirate recently turned concerned citizen/businessman.  The awkward relationship between the three of them also keeps the show interesting when the mystery du jour is not too fascinating.  Again, it is not Fringe with its parallel worlds, high tech weaponry, and complex storytelling, but that's okay.  It has its own small town charm.

No comments: