7/23/10

Haven: A Weak Version of Fringe

I have now watched the first two episodes of SyFy's new series Haven and the show is barely working for me.  It is a pretty simple story.  An independent female FBI agent, supervised by a secretive African American boss, starts to encounter strange happenings and decides to partner with a loner who has his own secrets.  Sounds a lot like Fox's Fringe to me.  And yet the acting and writing is only half as good, and the story lines are pretty weak.  The second episode starts with a large metal ball crashing into a local bar.  Not exactly as thrilling as Fringe's parallel universes.  With the addition of strange town folk, who are most likely a permanent part of the show since the female lead decided to stick around, it looks like the program will be a mix of Northern Exposure and The 4400 (yes, it appears that many of the townies have unknown special powers). I am not hopeful, but I may watch one or two more before a final verdict.

No comments: