7/11/11

July Premiere - Alphas

Tonight the SyFy network premieres Alphas, a story about a group of individuals who learn they have super powers.  Yes, another super hero program at a time the TV and movie landscape is littered with the products of this genre.  Remember The Cape, which crashed and burned earlier this year?  The problem with The Cape was its pale imitation of the Batman movies.  Well, read this bit on the mad doctor who leads the Alphas and tell me it does not sound similar to Patrick Stewart's Professor Charles Xavier in the X-Men movies:

Dr. Lee Rosen is a preeminent neurologist and psychiatrist with a long history of hands-on work with patients suffering from neurological disorders. His fascination with Alphas -- ordinary people with very extraordinary abilities known as Alpha Skills -- has led to the formation of a group of highly evolved humans specializing in solving Alpha-related cases. Though not an Alpha himself, he has become the unconventional leader of the team and his nurturing personality and fatherly wisdom are instrumental in holding the group together when stresses and personality conflicts threaten to tear them apart.

Of course, I will keep an open mind and view the pilot.  This could be the start of something interesting, though I remain skeptical for now.

Update:  I did not care for the pilot.  The "special powers" of strength, persuasion, hearing, and autism where not all that magnificent or interesting.   I would much rather watch something such as Lie to Me or Leverage where an understanding of human tics or technology can win the day.  I liked the review comments on Guy Gab since they were similarly unimpressed:

Since there isn’t much on television these days that is worth viewing, I gave Alphas a shot as it’s a show about ‘ordinary’ people with extraordinary abilities. Sadly, it only has one thing going for it and that’s the story so far. I’ll admit, they hooked me with the intro, but the disappointment came after the first commercial. I’m terribly vexed that Hollywood still hasn’t moved past the stereotypical characters and casting that make up a lot of their failures. I did get a chuckle though when I realized this show is little more than a live action Scooby Doo Mystery.

No comments: