5/30/16

A Fantastic Duo on Starz

No, I am not talking about super heroes, but rather fantastic actors.  Anthony Hopkins and Ian McKellen have teamed up for a one-night special called The Dresser, premiering tonight on Starz.  Hopkins plays a WWII-era stage actor playing King Lear, whereas McKellen is his assistant keeping together on and off the stage.  Of course, The Dresser itself was once a play and only later the BBC had the great idea of widening its audience. 

Seldom do you see a match up of this caliber, so you are in for a treat.  Take a look at this trailer for more.   

Discussing his role in this BBC production, Hopkins says he and McKellen would like more opportunities for such programs:

I’d like to do another one with the BBC. Ian said he hopes they do more of these classic plays. The audiences in London loved it, as did the critics. There’s not much going on, it’s all talk. But audiences like it. And American audiences will like it, too. You watch a film, and you don’t know who’s chasing who in a car scene. I can’t watch it. I try to watch these films and I’m so bored. Who cares? They have sex. Give me a break! I wasn’t born yesterday. And these car chases. God almighty! It’s all too much. It’s so boring. Everyone talks in a whisper now because it sounds so sexy. It doesn’t sound sexy. You can’t hear! I’m just an old grinch. You watch, and you can see the attitude of the actor. They think, “I am hot s–t.”

I am fine without car chases.  Good acting is an ingredient missing from many films these days.  Maybe I too can be a grinch.

No comments: