10/18/15

Just Crazy Enough to Work


While I was not so cheery about new comedies, I completely missed last week's premiere of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend on The CW.  I skipped over a great new show and I will not miss another episode. 

The new series was created by Rachel Bloom and Aline Brosh McKenna.  Bloom plays the main character, Rebecca Bunch, who harbors a 10-year crush for Josh, a summer camp "boyfriend."  Now a successful NYC attorney, she bumps into Josh again only to learn he is leaving NYC to go home to West Covina, CA. And we are off...

Rebecca tossed her career, heads to CA (singing all the way), and begins her hot pursuit of the old flame. Yes, crazy. 

The series was slated for Showtime but after being dropped it was revived and rewritten for The CW.  If you like a light comedy as well as your characters to break into dance and song on occasion, then this series is for you.  I can only think of Galavant in terms of singing series, and I prefer the crazy ex over singing Knights. 

At one hour, it is longer than I expected for a comedy, but it moves along. And unlike the characters in the droll Girls, you actually like Rebecca. The CW has already ordered more episodes, so things are looking up for the crazy ex.

No comments: