6/14/15

Too Much TV?

How many television shows are you currently watching? In a recent article in the Wall Street Journal titled "How Many TV Shows Can Your Brain Handle?", the author notes: 

Scientists say there’s no limit to the number of narratives, televised or otherwise, that the human mind can keep straight, and that our predilection for stories probably evolved as a way to adapt to real-life situations and anticipate similar events. 

The same article noted that last year television and other platforms hosted 371 original scripted series.  Sometimes I feel I am trying to keep up with all of them to write this blog, but in fact I know I am hitting very few of them.  As a result, I have a long backlist of television series I hope to see someday. 

I am no more bothered by too many television series than I am by libraries (including my own) filled with too many books for me to read in a lifetime.  Life is about picking and choosing.  I try to watch the best of the bunch, but the media will always outpace me. 

But do not worry, I will share what I learn with the readers of this blog even if I am not a committed fan to each and every one of them.  And with that in mind, stay tuned this week because we again have a pile of new television series to ponder. 

No comments: