12/29/14

Season Two of Penny Dreadful

Showtime has released a trailer for the upcoming season two of Penny Dreadful.  While it does not reveal much, it does appear that Vanessa Ives is coming to terms with her "condition."  The series, starring Josh Hartnett, Timothy Dalton and Eva Green, was a nice surprise earlier this year, being a mash up of various London-based or London-created demons.  And this was not your usual love triangle between a werewolf and vampire fighting over the girl, though of course there was some of that as well (as well as Frankenstein, Dorian Gray, and a few more twists).

In discussing season two during an interview with The Huffington Post, creator John Logan (who also wrote the movies Hugo, Skyfall, and Gladiator) had this to way about his acting team:  

They are a brilliant cast and they inspire me on a daily basis. The second season, in a way, was easier to write, in that I knew the actors' voices. Or, I should say, I knew the character's voices. And in a way, it was more challenging to write, because I realized these actors are capable of anything. They are fearless. So the limits I placed on myself in the first season, I took off in the second season. Because I know Eva Green will happily go there, and Josh will go there, and Tim will go there, and go there enthusiastically because they trust me and they trust in the central -- and this is important -- morality of our tale.

Season two will have a total of 10 episodes, compared to the 8 episodes of season one.  I look forward to the start on another great season.  In the meantime, the Penny Dreadful blog can provide some additional information on the series.
 

No comments: