9/15/14

Healthy Humor: Red Band Society

What do you get when you combine kids and a hospital? Well, it could be a tear-jerker drama like The Fault is in Our Stars or and over-the-top comedy like Patch Adams

Fox is trying its hand on Wednesday (September 16th) with its new show called Red Band Society. Narrated by a 12 year-old coma patient (I know, this is sounding dreary), it follows the adventures of mostly teenage patients in an LA hospital as they face life decisions as well as life end decisions. 

Dave Annable plays Dr. Jack McAndrew, the pediatric surgeon overseeing the wars. Last time I saw Annable he was a screwed up guy in his early 20s taking medical classes on the series Brothers and Sisters. I guess he did well. I will ignore his role on 666 Park Avenue, as I presume he has.

Forbes magazine gave it a thumbs up, saying:

At times the pilot does dive into fantastical territory, but since the first thing we’re presented with is the constant voice over of a patient that’s in a coma, those fantastical elements are forgivable and reasonable within context. The characters are so dynamic that it really doesn’t matter how outlandish the pilot gets at times because as long as we’re watching these characters do something, it’s interesting. That’s television at its finest.

I think I will watch an episode or two to see how it goes. 

No comments: