9/24/12

2012 Emmy Winners

The party is over and the dust has now settled on another year of Emmys.  So who took home the statue?  Here is a quick rundown on some key categories:

Outstanding Comedy Series - Modern Family
Lead Actress in a Comedy Series - Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Selina Meyer in Veep
Lead Actor in a Comedy Series - Jon Cryer as Alan Harper in Two And A Half Men 

Outstanding Drama Series - Homeland
Lead Actress in a Drama Series - Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison in Homeland
Lead Actor in a Drama Series - Damian Lewis as Nicholas Brody in Homeland 

Outstanding Miniseries or a Movie - Game Change
Lead Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie - Julianne Moore as Sarah Palin in Game Change
Lead Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie - Kevin Costner as 'Devil' Anse Hatfield in Hatfields & McCoys

I already talked about my disappointment with the comedy category, so I will not go into it again.  In terms of drama, I am glad to see that the Hatfields & McCoys won an award.  The History Channel should be proud of its first foray into a drama mini-series.  I have watched a few episodes of Homeland and I never understood the praise for the show.  I would have preferred to see Game of Thrones come out on top since it not only is a great drama but it also represents a return of fantasy to television, something that is often slighted.  I guess I should be happy it was nominated.  The fact that Fringe and other science fiction/fantasy shows never make the list still irks me.  And many other drama were forgotten in the drama and acting categories, including FX's Justified and Showtime's Borgias.  I know, only a few great shows can make the list.  I guess my definition of great (or "outstanding") is a little different.