7/26/12

HBO's Newsroom Gets Second Season

I have only watched the first few episodes of The Newsroom, but I have enjoyed the show so far and hope to catch up on the first season.  While the program can be a little preachy at times, and it does provide a rerun of the news over the past few years, it demonstrates that there was another way to pitch the new and inform a nation.  In that regard, I am glad to learn The Newsroom will get a second season, though not without a few bumps.

The Daily has announced that HBO is cleaning house for a second season:

Aaron Sorkin has been doing press all week defending his critically-panned HBO show, “The Newsroom,” but behind the scenes he's cleaning house.

Most of the writers on the cable drama about a Keith Olbermann-type television news demagogue have been fired, sources with knowledge of the show told The Daily. "They're not coming back, except for Sorkin's ex-girlfriend [Corinne Kinsbury]," one source said. [Sorkin is currently dating "Sex and the City" actress Kristin Davis.]

The show was renewed early for a second season and it's unclear how many writers will replace the departing staff.


It seems the high-powered drama is not limited to the television screen.  And Jeff Daniels is creating his own stir in an actual newsroom with this statement on CBS News:

 I think there are many [messages on the show.] However, one of them, specific to that, is that I don’t think we’re informed anymore as a country...I think we have the attention span of a gnat. You know, with cell phones and Twitter.

I like it.  

Update:   Aaron Sorkin is claiming all is well in the writers room.  He recently stated: "I want to be as clear as I possibly can about this...The writing staff was not fired"  He added, "Just seeing that in print is scaring the hell out of the writing staff. They're acting very strange. They're coming to work early. They're acting polite to me. I want the old gang back."