6/10/12

The Real Nurse Jackie

I am happy to read that Showtime's Nurse Jackie has been picked up for a fifth season.  I have been a fan of Edie Falco since HBO's Oz, where she played Officer Diane Whittlesey (though she will always be best remembered as Carmela on HBO's The Sopranos).  

As Nurse Jackie, Falco has continued to show her range of talents as a tough-as-nails urban nurse, loving mom, fickle wife, pain-killer addict, and sometime friend.  And from the sounds of it, Falco and Nurse Jackie have a few things in common, including substance addition.  In at Time Out magazine interview, Falco discussed her past alcoholism: 

The day I stopped, a very specific day in my life where I thought, Oh, I’m done; this is something that is having me rather than me having it. It was the morning after an absolutely awful night when I woke up in an awful state, and some very calm realization came over me that I’m never going to do this again. And that was literally 20 years ago.

What is interesting is that it was her real-life friend, Paul Schulze, who plays the occassional boyfriend pharmacist Eddie Walzer on Nurse Jackie, took her to her first AA meeting.  Real life can be just as strange as fiction (or as good).  And Edie has much more to share about her past and present, including a new theater role that she discusses in a Daily Beast piece.  She is one interesting lady as well as a terrific actress.