9/10/10

Terriers is No Dog

I have to say I enjoyed the pilot of FX's Terriers the other night.  The two main characters, Hank (Donal Logue) and Britt (Michael Raymond-James), made an odd yet interesting couple.  Hank is the crusty, hard-drinking, ex-cop with a heart of gold whereas Britt is the trusty side-kick with a Peter Pan complex.  How they met is not yet clear, nor do we really know much about Britt's past.  But this is the first show and I am intrigued to learn more.  And the pilot's plot involving two murders is either part one of a two part story or the basis of the entire first season.  What I already see going on is Hank charging at windmills while dragging along loyal Britt (who continues to look back at his girlfriend pining for a baby). 

It is clear that not ever enjoyed the show. Slate had its own take on the new series:

That those heels head in so many different directions at once is the show's own Achilles'. A typical episode of Terriers jolts abruptly from cutesy escapades to head-cracking fights, from loud escapism to misty tenderness, from easygoing comedy to strained seriousness. The tonal unevenness feels less like the conscious product of an ambitious design than the unplanned consequence of an exceedingly ambitious one. 

I should add that the Slate critic has already seen the first five shows before penning a review, whereas I only have one show under my belt.  That said, I look forward to watching the next four to formulate a more informed opinion.  I expect I will enjoy my research.

No comments: