9/10/16

One Mississippi on Amazon

When Amazon was premiering a number of pilots some time ago (I cannot remember which one because they have become more frequent and less commented on), I remember being impressed with One Mississippi. The story of this lesbian woman (Tig Notaro) dealing with the loss of her mother seemed more documentary than drama, and I looked forward to the rest of the story.

Well as of yesterday, we can all see the rest of the story on Amazon.  I plan to rewatch the pilot and then dig into the rest of the episodes (six in all). 

And while I thought some of it was related to real life, now I learn most of it was, and as recent as 2012 (as told by the Decider):

She got pneumonia, which morphed into C-Diff, a crazy bacterial infection that almost killed her. While recuperating, her mother fell and hit her head and died. Then, while dealing with the pain of the loss, she broke up with her girlfriend. Finally, she was diagnosed with bilateral breast cancer.

That's what I remember from the pilot as well, so this was a documentary after all. Okay, not exactly, but close enough to be pretty accurate as well as fascinating to watch. 

And I also learned it was Louis C.K. that pushed her to share more of her story with the world at large. So we have Louis to thank for two series about strong women premiering this week. Impressive. 

No comments: