2/8/15

AMC's Better Call Saul!

I was never a fan of Breaking Bad. While I agree the acting was excellent, I found the story gruesome. Not that I have tender sensibilities, being a fan of Justified and Fargo, yet I still prefer to cheer for the "good" guys. Likeable bad guys are common yet tiresome and potentially bad for society at large (though some or many may disagree). That was also my problem with The Sopranos, but I am steering off topic.

AMC returns this week with Better Call Saul highlighting the early adventures of a character from Breaking Bad.  Will I like it any more than the parent show? I'm not sure, yet I'm willing to try it out.  

Here is the spin from AMC:

Better Call Saul is the prequel to the award-winning series Breaking Bad, set six years before Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk) became Walter White’s lawyer. When we meet him, the man who will become Saul Goodman is known as Jimmy McGill, a small-time lawyer searching for his destiny, and, more immediately, hustling to make ends meet. Working alongside, and often against, Jimmy is "fixer" Mike Ehrmantraut (Jonathan Banks), a beloved character introduced in Breaking Bad. The series will track Jimmy's transformation into Saul Goodman, the man who puts "criminal" in "criminal lawyer." 
 
The first season is 10 episodes, and another 13 episodes for a second season have already been approved.  Of course, 23 episodes used to be one season many years ago, but who's counting.  

Forbes magazine is already providing five reasons why you should watch this new series, including "It fills a void left by Breaking Bad while still being unique."  I am counting on it since I have no history to build on. 

No comments: