2/3/13

Nashville for Guys: The Wedding Band

If you have not had a chance to view TBS's show The Wedding Band then it may be time to check it out.  I see it as the guy's version to ABC's Nashville, less drama and more comedy.  And while I am a fan of Connie Brittan and do not want to take anything away from her singing, I think you will also be surprised to see that Brian Austin Green (90201, Terminator:  The Sara Connor Chronicles) can carry a tune. 

The basic plot of The Wedding Band is four guys in Seattle joining up on weekends to become a wedding band, and the trials of making money while also having fun (and choosing among the female groupies after the show).  Green plays Tommy, he band leader and playboy, joined by Eddie (Peter Cambor from NCIS: Los Angeles) the dad, Barry (Derek Miller from Secret Girlfriend) who is Eddie's brother an a music store clerk by day, and Stevie (Harold Perrineau from Lost) who is the most recent and more accomplished member of the group.  The four band members are reigned in by event promoter Roxie Rutherford (Melora Hardin from The Office), and her assistant Rachel (Jenny Wade from The Good Guys).

Overall, each episode is a mini-movie with set-ups you would see in any goofy wedding-related movie, which is what makes it fun since you get to see the back story rather than the main story.  And the music is fun as well, with the songs available on iTunes (similar to the Nashville).  Check out their songs, such as Making Love Out of Nothing at All, Party Rock Anthem, and We Are Family.  I only recently learned that Green's father was a country-music singer and he plays the piano, drums and guitar.  In addition, Perrineau studied music and theater at the Shenandoah Conservatory.

Green spoke about the music in an interview with TheTVAddict.com

For the most part I knew the melodies, but most of the songs, I’ve got to be honest, when I got the lyric sheets my first thoughts were, “Oh, those are the words.  That’s not what we’ve been singing.” Like when you hear REM’s “End of the World as We Know It” and you go, “What is he talking about?!” I think the only thing anybody ever knew was “it’s the end of the world as we know it” and the rest of the words were completely unknown. So I’ve always had a bad habit of that. Just as I’m a huge music lover, I grew up listening to it.  But I’m one of those just because when I play — I play piano and drums — I connect way more with melodies usually than the lyrics. So the lyrics are usually the last thing that I learn, whereas a lot of other people I know really sit and study the lyrics first and the melody is kind of the last thing. So I didn’t know any of them. I knew pretty much none of the songs.

Sadly, the show was cancelled after only one season and 10 episodes (the last episode aired on January 19), so it will only live on iTunes and in reruns.  With all of the new fall programs, it was hard to get traction. Nonetheless, it is a small gem in the TV universe that deserves your attention.