5/11/12

New Programs at Yahoo

Earlier this year there was a lot of talk about the new Yahoo Originals "TV" programs Yahoo was adding to its site.  So I decided to check some of them out and I cannot say I was impressed with the content or quality of most of them.  Here are a few of them and my initial reaction:

- Sketchy:  These amateurish skits are not very different than what I would expect from homemade clips on Yahoo. Okay, the play on Kickstarter was a fun piece, but I cannot see a need to revisit this site.

- 7 Minutes in Heaven:  A very strange interview format since it takes place in a closet, which is the point.  Yet why is the show only 4 minutes?  I am surprised Elijah Wood and others would play along.  I think I will stick with Letterman.

- Broken News Daily and Odd News:  New parodies that are both broken and odd, but not in a good way.  If this is what you want then you are better off with The Onion.

- First Dates with Toby Harris:  This was the only program that was unique and interesting.  Toby's luck with women reminded me of a young Larry David in terms of his lousy attitude and luck in general.  And like Larry, Toby has something to say about society at a few levels.  I will stay tuned to this program.  

Another program yet to start is Burning Love. The press has made a lot of noise about this new show from Ben Stiller.  It portrays a clueless fireman who finds himself in a Bachelor-like situation.  The cast is pretty good for an unknown show.  In addition to Ken Marino, playing a slap stick role very similar to his role in Adult Swim's Children's Hospital, I was surprised to see Adam Scott (Parks and Recreation) appearing in the previews.  The new series premieres on June 4th.  I expect that should it do well it will graduate to real television.  

Update:  Businessweek has a good story on events at YouTube in a piece titled Must-See YouTube.  It  highlights others that are betting on the success of the new programs: 

Advertisers such as Toyota (T), AT&T (T), and General Motors (GM) have already pledged up to $10 million apiece to advertise alongside YouTube’s new content. Google’s challenge will be to make sure they stick around.