4/8/12

Return of the Borgias

Showtime's Borgias returns this evening (10 pm EST), and I am guessing sex, family intrigue, and papal politics will keep all of us interested for another season.  I was not sure if the program would make it past its first season, but I am glad it did.  

The Borgias have grown on me, I am afraid to say.  The antics of Jeremy Irons and his brood bring bright colors to a very dark period for the Catholic Church.  And while Easter Day not be the best day to kick off such a show, as with Game of Thrones we were eagerly awaiting the series' spring return.

I like how The Hollywood Reporter summarizes the the start of the second season, yet the words could just as well summarize season one:

What propels Borgias most adroitly early this season is that for all the scheming Rodrigo Borgia (Jeremy Irons) did to get his hands on the papal robes, he cannot quite fathom how the same tricks might be undoing his own family. Like Tony Soprano, he's got trouble at home.

Let the new season begin.