3/10/12

Death of the Dinosaurs, Again

I cannot say I am surprised that Fox's Terra Nova has been canceled after one season.  I think I noted many of its weaknesses in my first review, but let's recount them again:

The central family returning to the past is an odd pairing of personalities which never convinced me they cared about one another.  And the dinosaur battles seemed to be the only passion on the screen, with everyone else mumbling predictable lines as they walked around their Gilligan huts filled with Apple-like machines.  The show takes me back to Episode One of the Star Wars movies where George Lucas still had his machines but he had lost all interest in writing a script with convincing dialog.  I did not expect the same from Spielberg, but that is what I see here.

However, the show may be saved by Netflix or another outside party since it still had quite a few viewers (it averaged 7.5 million viewers) and some international appeal.  I would prefer to see Netflix continue to focus on its own original programming rather than a warmed-over SyFy-like flop.

Update:  The Hollywood Reporter says Netflix has officially canned the idea of a Terra Nova second season.