3/31/11

Sherlock: Worth Investigating

While I was late to the program, I have enjoyed the BBC's updated version of the adventures of Sherlock Holmes in Sherlock.  Broadcast late last year on PBS as three 90-minute Masterpiece episodes (and last summer on the BBC in the UK), it offers a fresh, modern day version of our sleuthing hero and his trusty sidekick, Dr. Watson.  I never read through the earlier detective stories, or any detective stories for that matter, so I guess I was looking for basically CSI:London (though Law & Order:UK is already available).  But I could not be more pleased with Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch), an anti-social, obsessive, and brilliant man who I would not want to spend more than two minutes with in real life.  And yet his bickering friendship/relationship with Watson (Martin Freeman) is a perfect balance of effective investigating and continual annoyances.  You can catch episodes on iTunes and a second season is being prepared for later this year.

No comments: