4/25/10

Saving the Great Shows

Awhile back in my blog (click here) I wrote about the fate of Friday Night Lights and how it was saved by Direct TV. At the time I had mixed feelings, but I am starting to like the idea even more.

It seems that FX's Damages, now completing its third seasaon, is now facing a similar decision; go off the air or cut a deal with Direct TV where the subscribers get the show earlier than the rest of us. As with FNL, I would like to see more of Damages, a quality, well-acted program. So I certainly support this move. Apparently other venues are being approached as well. I hope it works out.

This reminds me of other attempts to save flagging shows. Of course, the major network definition is all about 'eyes on the TV," which often fails to capture DVR and other viewing habits (i.e., free TV on Hulu and Fancast). I am all for saving good TV stuck with bad networks. This recently happened with Southland, which was dropped by NBC after its first season (in a very sloppy way, I might add) and picked up by TNT. It is doing well on TNT and is now slated for a third season. And this is even better than Direct TV since we all get to see the new shows at the same time.

Now if we can only find a small TV network to pick up Kings.

Note: FNL starts up again on May 7th on TNT.

No comments: